Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

Review: Start Again by J. Saman


The Blurb:

Kate Taylor had the perfect life. That is until an accident took everything she had away. For two years she has been living moment to moment and day to day. She's lost and can't seem to find her way back. Finally, in a last ditch effort, she decides to leave town in search of a fresh start. In walks Ryan Grant. The perfect man with dark hair and sexy green eyes. Doesn't hurt that they have smoldering chemistry either. Too bad Kate's heart and mind are trapped in the past.

Ryan Grant is stuck in limbo, floating through life with work as his only focus. Probably because he's been betrayed a time or two by the people he thought he could trust. Needing a change, he plans on moving his company west to Seattle. There is just one big problem. He doesn't fly. So when a girl from his past offers to drive him across the country, how could he say no? Katie is his dream girl after all. Always has been.



Fair warning, this book begins by ripping your heart out and slamming it down on a plate in front of you. Tragedy befalls Kate from page fucking one. And as a mom, I freely admit that I was sobbing like a little bitch.



Fast forward to two years later. Kate is a basket case (understandably so). So in the grand tradition of people who no longer have any fucks left to give, she decides a cross country road trip is in order. Her mother convinces her to at least take a childhood acquaintance along for her journey, since he is afraid to fly and needs to also be across the country within the next few weeks.

Can I just say that this back and forth exchange with her mother is just the realest thing ever? When Kate points out she doesn’t even know this dude, her mom answers thusly:

“You know him. I just told you. You met him when you were six.”

Mom logic. I accept this premise completely because I also have a mom.

Ryan is a 6’3 giant with a beard and glasses (I’m not sure if I should be picturing a hipster but what the hell, he’s moving to Seattle, so I did). Get the man some free trade coffee.



He’s cool, we know he is because he calls his mom a bitch, calls Kate's mom batshit crazy, and refuses to call Kate by anything other than ‘Katie’, despite Kate's protests.


I see.

My first impression of Ryan, therefore, was one of annoyance. But as the story progresses, he grew on me exponentially. He knows from the moment go that Kate has been through a lot and while others tiptoe around it and refuse to acknowledge the elephant in the room, he does the exact opposite. I thought it was incredibly endearing the way he talked to her about what had happened and helped her explore different ways to cope.

I also appreciate the author’s devotion to Kate’s mindset and mental health. The romance here is slow-building, with every step forward turning into several steps backwards for Kate when she cannot overcome the guilt inside her heart.

The two embark on a weeks-long road trip that brings them closer and closer. It’s a sweet story about love, loss, and learning to love again. Much mushiness. Cue the “I Don’t Wanna Wait” song.



Story is well written, dialogue is true to how people actually speak, which is something I always look for. POV switches up to give us insight into both characters, which is also nice because they each have a lot to say. I wish there had been a little more detail in the love scenes, because I'm a perv. Definitely a five star romance for those who can handle the emotional slap at the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment