Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2016

Review: Deviant by Natasha Knight



The Blurb:

Julien

I'm a hit man, an assassin. A deviant by all accounts. I never pretended to be the good guy.

She was the opposite.

But the minute she pulled the curtains of her window back and saw my face, watched me screwing the blonde who happened to be my next mark, she sealed her own fate. There could be no witnesses, ever.

I let it go on a few days though. Never closed the curtains, gave her one hell of a show. I liked it, liked seeing her get all hot and bothered. Her face so innocent, so…corruptible. And all that time she was watching, she had no idea I'd seen her, that I was watching her too.

But all good things must come to an end.

Imagine my surprise when I turned up to take care of her only to find two goons breaking down her door, weapons in hand.

Turned out she had a price on her head. Her stepbrother wanted her and he wanted her alive. I'd never been one to pass up an opportunity to collect the kind of money he was offering, especially if I could have some fun while I was at it.

It just never occurred to me she’d be anything more than my next mark.

Mia

Curiosity killed the kitten.

I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he said those words.

When I watched them from the window, I didn't suspect for a moment that he'd seen me, that he was watching me back. Not while he was doing what he was doing to the woman on her knees before him.

But then she turned up dead, and he turned up in my hotel room, waiting for me in the dark.

I didn't think for one second him being there that night would save my life. I'd been on the run for two years, but my stepbrother had finally caught up with me. Or his two thugs had.

Finding out I had a quarter-of-a-million dollar bounty on my head convinced Julien I was more valuable alive than dead. But to collect it would mean returning me to my stepbrother, who had sworn to make me pay for what I'd done.

Julien was cruel. He was merciless. He scared the crap out of me. But there was something else, something he never wanted me to see. Inside, he was broken, like me.

My stepbrother was wrong if he thought I'd let him get his hands on me ever again. I had no intention of allowing that to happen, even if it meant I'd have to sleep with the devil to survive.

And I had no doubt Julien was the devil.

* Please note: This standalone dark romantic suspense is complete at 68,500 words. No cliffhanger, only a badass Alpha male who doesn't seem like much of a hero at the start, who uses strong language, and likes dirty, kinky sex. Some readers may find him offensive.

 
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Having been so taken with Salvatore, I dove right into another Natasha Knight book. Deviant has an interesting naughty premise, which is really all I need to justify anything.



The first half of the book was intriguing. Julien, a mercenary, is working a contract (and by working I mean nailing) when he notices Mia spying on him from another hotel room. Amused, he draws things out a little longer than planned, knowing he’ll eventually have to kill her for seeing his face.

But Mia has her own set of problems, and Julien is not the only guy that wants her dead. I found it a little odd that Julien elects to save her life rather than just take the opportunity to kill her with the other guys that came for her, but hey, I don’t have a penis.



Julien is a dom to the extreme. He doesn’t just like being in control, he enjoys hurting Mia and making her afraid of him, which I didn’t dig. And I was struggling to believe Mia would enjoy it either, given how scared she was of him. There were parts where Julien straight up victimizes her, which I found pretty upsetting given that Mia has already been victimized in the past and he KNOWS that.



I am also noticing a HEAVY theme for Knight’s works when it comes to uh…backdoor play. Nothing in the positive or negative column there, just an observation. But I will say this: after some of the stuff Julien does to her, there is NO way girl is sitting down normally for a long ass (teehee, get it?) time.



All in all, not my favorite, but so far I’ve only got Salvatore to compare it to. That said, Knight comes up with some damn good premises and I’ll continue to check out more of her titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment