Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Review: Counsellor by Celia Aaron



The Blurb: 
 
In the heart of Louisiana, the most powerful people in the South live behind elegant gates, mossy trees, and pleasant masks. Once every ten years, the pretense falls away and a tournament is held to determine who will rule them. The Acquisition is a crucible for the Southern nobility, a love letter written to a time when barbarism was enshrined as law.

Now, Sinclair Vinemont is in the running to claim the prize. There is only one way to win, and he has the key to do it — Stella Rousseau, his Acquisition. To save her father, Stella has agreed to become Sinclair's slave for one year. Though she is at the mercy of the cold, treacherous Vinemont, Stella will not go willingly into darkness.

As Sinclair and Stella battle against each other and the clock, only one thing is certain: The Acquisition always ends in blood.

Full disclosure: This book is a dark romance with elements of slavery, violence, BDSM, and super-hot sex. It is the first of a series and ends on a cliffhanger. If you're good with these caveats, enjoy.



Oh man, I don’t even know where to begin with this one. I thought I understood the premise: sexy alpha in a powerful position compels woman to sign a contract agreeing to be his “slave” for a year. Simple. To the point. I can dig.


Looks…I mean, sounds…horrible.

But oh no. There’s so much more. It’s so fucking dark and messed up. I shall try to explain, but be warned, here be spoilers:

Stella’s dad is about to be sentenced to life in prison for some kind of stock-trading fraud. The district attorney, Sinclair Vinemont, sees an opportunity. He blackmails Stella into becoming his live-in slave in exchange for keeping her father out of prison.

The Vinemonts are a very powerful family, one of many in the Louisiana bayou. Old money. And old money has some very particular and very fucked up traditions involving orgies, sex slaves, and weird competitions designed solely to humiliate and degrade said sex slaves. Enter Stella’s contract.

Yeah. Not so much with the sexy. More with the suspense, fear, and pending degradation that Vinemont seems to have no qualms with. The rest of the plot follows Stella as she attempts to manage her situation and survive the emotional (and physical) tortures inflicted upon her. She never knows what awaits her next, and Vinemont won’t tell her.

Still, they develop a weird sort of bond, which admittedly results in some wicked hot sex scenes.



But then I’m still not sure I should be rooting for him? I really, really want to…


...That I should talk to a shrink.

It ends on a cliffy, and I have to say I was totally enthralled and went ahead with the second (which I’ve also already finished). I only give it 4 stars because there are bits that admittedly have me falling out of my comfort zone (huh, didn’t even know I had one of those). Holy sh*t I’ve finally been triggered!

But damn, this is a captivating story and I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of what this whole “Acquisition” power game is even about! Looking forward to finishing the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment