Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Review: Bossman by Vi Keeland

The Blurb:

The first time I met Chase Parker, I didn't exactly make a good impression.

I was hiding in the bathroom hallway of a restaurant, leaving a message for my best friend to save me from my awful date.

He overheard and told me I was a bitch, then proceeded to offer me some dating advice.

So I told him to mind his own damn business―his own tall, gorgeous, full-of-himself damn business―and went back to my miserable date.

When he walked by my table, he smirked, and I watched his arrogant, sexy ass walk back to his date.

I couldn't help but sneak hidden glances at the condescending jerk on the other side of the room. Of course, he caught me on more than one occasion, and winked.

When the gorgeous stranger and his equally hot date suddenly appeared at our table, I thought he was going to rat me out.

But instead, he pretended we knew each other and joined us―telling elaborate, embarrassing stories about our fake childhood.

My date suddenly went from boring to bizarrely exciting.

When it was over and we parted ways, I thought about him more than I would ever admit, even though I knew I'd never see him again.

I mean, what were the chances I'd run into him again in a city with eight million people?Then again...

What were the chances a month later he'd wind up being my new sexy boss?

 
I got the audible for this book, and I think I might have liked it better had I not. This is my first Vi Keeland book, though I’ve heard so much about her work from friends and bloggers on GR. Part of my issue with the audible was the cheesiness of the voices. Chase sounds like Batman whenever the male is reading from his POV, and he sounds like a Cali surfer douchebag impression (as done by a woman) when Keeland is reading in his voice.



The story itself is solid, written well. There were parts that were unbelievably sexy, no doubt. But I guess the hurdle I couldn’t get over here was the dynamic between the two, which duh…is right in the title. Every time Chase would do something inappropriate I found myself going “OMFG YOU DESERVE TO GET SUED!”



The backstory is compelling, and I like that they both shared a history of trauma that they could bond over. I think I would have been happier with the story if Reese had simply resigned when she decided she wanted to nail Chase. I think it was a bit demeaning to have her literally repeat the same mistake twice in a row. And then towards the end it really felt an awful lot like she was just following after him like a puppy, begging for a chance, while Chase was like “N’aw. Reasons.”

Maybe I’m just a soulless asshole who doesn’t get “true love”. I’d have taken him at his word and moved right the eff on.

No comments:

Post a Comment