Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Review: Silver Blood by Emma Hamm


The Blurb:

A PROPHECY TO FULFILL

Two hundred years ago, our world changed forever. Two realms combined in an explosion of magic. One morning everything was normal and the next? Every human body was host to another magical creature who had thoughts and a mind of its own. However, with power comes darkness. Someone wants to wipe this earth clean and will stop at nothing to consume it.

SHE IS NOT A HERO

Or so she thought. Wren had grown up with another voice in her head but had never considered herself magical. She doesn't have the talents other people have. She certainly doesn't have the abilities anyone else has. But she is charming and manages her business quite well. She deals in emotions and makes people happy. It's a simple life, but it's hers.

HE THINKS SHE COULD BE

Burke was a bodyguard first and always. He had been sent to collect her and deliver her in person to the most powerful creatures in their world. But the moment he steps through the broken door of her shop, his world changes forever. She's strange. She's uncomfortable. And she's so damned beautiful. He is convinced she is part of a prophecy that can save their world.

But how to convince her?



Okay, review time! I’ve read quite a few books over the past few weeks, but this one was definitely one of my favorites!

To start, Hamm’s fantastical world consists of human beings that play host to magical entities, a coexistence that is necessary for their survival. There is a LOT of exposition to get through in the early parts of the book, but it was well worth it. Sometimes I read books and have no use for all of the information provided up front, but Hamm creates a world that justifies such an exposition.

The main character, Wren, is a juice seller (“juice” is actually emotions). It reminds me of one of those fantasy RPGs I used to play on Xbox.


“Oh Guildmasterrrrr….”

Anyways, Wren also has an unknown magical entity inside of her, referred to as “E”. Apparently this is unusual in Wren’s world, as we get labels/abilities for other types of magical entities, but Wren knows very little about her own.

Which brings me to Burke. His magical entity is a Dream Walker, which means they can go inside peoples’ dreams and even make changes to the dream (and vice versa, the dreamer can start to control them as well).


A concept I can get on board with.

There is a slow burn buildup with Wren and Burke, which I (of course) loved. My only complaint was that I would have liked to see a longer (and more descriptive) love scene, because I’m a romance junkie/perv and I just spent 250 pages waiting for these 2 to seal the deal!!!


I am what I am. Sorry.

Hamm is very attentive to detail and I can tell this story was created with a lot of imagination and love. Awesome cover art as well! A great read, especially for those who really enjoy the fantasy genre. 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment