Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Review: Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh


The Blurb: 
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best- but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option—even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael’s seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.


 Ahhh I’ve been waiting to write this review until I had the time to properly GUSH.

As I write this, I’ve already finished the next book in the series, eager to press on. Singh has created a world where angels roam the earth freely, along with the vampires they create. Elena’s job is to hunt rogue vampires, contracted by an overseeing organization called “The Guild”. Elena is the best in her field, a natural born hunter (what that means and the advantages/disadvantages are a continuing story in which we get little snippets here and there).

Elena is my kind of heroine. She’s badass, she takes no shit, and her pride alone has given her balls of steel and a penchant for talking her way into trouble. So when the archangel Raphael hires Elena to do a hunt for him, he gets a little more than he bargained for. The chemistry between these two was amazing. The way their personalities are explored, Elena with her traumatic past, Raphael suffering from the ennui and apathy associated with being so damn old, they just work.

Then there are all of the side characters, characters that I dearly hope will get their own books in time. Dmitri, Raphael's most powerful vampire, is sex incarnate. Illium, the beautiful and cocky angel with blue feathers. I would read their stories in a heartbeat.

I got this book on audible, and I have to say this is by far the best audible I’ve ever purchased. Singh reads this dialogue in a way that gives each character their own personality without sounding cheesy. No deep, ridiculous attempts at a Batman voice. Her characters are diverse citizens of the world, and she reads them as such, accents and all. Without this audible component, I would not have imagined the characters in the way they were intended, which would have been my loss.

With that in mind, I think my favorite bits of dialogue are the simplest. Singh puts SO much emotion behind even the smallest sentences. “Yes,” is a phrase that gets repeated often, yet each time it gets me, because there is always so much wrapped up in that single word, no matter who is saying it.

When I was younger, I was OBSESSED with the early Anita Blake novels, and have yet to find their equal until now. Singh is officially my current “favorite” author. All the stars!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment