Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Review: The Contract by Melanie Moreland



The Blurb:
A tyrant by day, a playboy by night. That is the reputation that precedes Richard VanRyan. He lives life the way he wants, no concern for the opinion of others. He cares for no one, is completely unrepentant, and he has no desire to change his ways.

Katharine Elliott works under Richard as his PA. She despises him and his questionable ethics, but endures all the garbage he sends her way, because she needs the job. Her end goal is far more important than the daily abuse and demands she tolerates from her nasty tyrant of a boss.

Until the day, he asks her for something she never expected. A new role with a personal contract — fiancĂ©e instead of PA.

What happens when two people who loathe each other, have to live together and act as though they are madly in love?

Sparks.

That’s what happens.

Can the power of love really change a person?

Will they survive the contract?

What do you do when the one person you hate the most becomes the one person you can’t live without?




I am a sucker for this sort of storyline, so I was super excited to check it out. Put into practice, however, I admit I was a little disappointed with the characters’ overall likeability.



Katharine, the saccharine sweet personal assistant, is so fucking saintly that I just wanted to roll my eyes every time I was reminded of her plight. I get it, everyone on the planet loves her except Richard. All I’m saying is, characters like this are usually there to get hit by a car or something and make the other character have some sort of epiphany about life and love. I didn’t make the rules. Take it up with Nicholas Sparks.



Richard is such an unrepentant dick (haha, I see what she did there), but not in that way that I enjoy in my alpha males. He was a straight up douche, lacking in wit, and seemingly unredeemable, even by his own inner monologues. His scheme is so deplorable and insensitive that I was just sort of annoyed by him in general.

Fortunately for him, by throwing a hissy fit and threatening to quit his job, he has put Katharine in a position of pure desperation (as she will likely lose her job in the process). She has no choice but to acquiesce to his pitch: pretend to be in love with him, engaged to him, even marry him if he deems it necessary in order to get what he wants: a job at a family-friendly advertising firm that specializes in NOT being giant dickwads.



First of all, WHY Richard would want to work at this rival firm was beyond me. His personality was so despicable that I can’t comprehend how he thought he could reasonably alter his behavior enough to be accepted there.



I kind of hated how Katharine’s character developed as well. The trope of the ugly duckling just needing a makeover to become the beautiful swan is frustrating enough, but I was given to understand that Katharine was already beautiful and Richard was just a snobby asshole. To imply that she needed new window dressings to become appealing to him just makes him seem like that much more of an asshole.


Seriously, fuck that guy.

Of course they fall in love, Richard sees the error of his ways, yadda yadda yadda. Surely after so much tension and bickering the sex will be incredibly hot…I thought to myself hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment