Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Review: Heart of Power-The Siren's Awakening by S.L. Giger

The Blurb:
No matter whether you are human girl or a Siren, there always is this one guy who manages to completely get under your skin.

17-year-old Serena can’t escape her true destiny any longer. She is transformed into a Siren and has to get used to a different name, unusual abilities and constantly attracting every man’s glance. Guided by her new family members, she faces the challenge of leading a life among humans without appearing divergent. When Alex reciprocates her love, she seems to fully have settled into her new life.
However, two secrets have yet to be revealed and Serena hast to make a tough choice.

This is the compelling first novel in the Heart of Power trilogy. S. L. Giger manages to add a refreshing breeze to fantasy by successfully introducing us to the world of Sirens in our modern age. 


The main character, Serena aka Nathalie finds out she is special, a siren. An intriguing beginning, with her discovering she wants to rip out beating hearts from human chests. Wow, I thought, this book has the potential to be really dark and twisted.



Cut to chapter 7 …just kidding, she’s going to go to high school in the U.S. and make new friends and live her life.



Part of my struggle was that I kept forgetting this is more of a YA novel, and I’m accustomed to darker romance with something awful on the horizon, if not from the moment go. I get it, regular teenage girl finds out she’s one of a kind, attracts so many boys, super special, etc. But I like stories that focus on the cost of being special.

This kinda sums up my opinion of Nathalie:
“I prefer spending my free time with cute guys instead of working my butt off.” Belinda flinched slightly, and Courtney was left open-mouthed. I’d never have dared to say something like that as Serena. It used to be way too important to me, what other people thought.


Clearly her transformation has made her far more mature than all the other kids.

The nuts and bolts: A lot of the back and forth dialogue is just…back and forth. I would have liked to see more descriptions of the surroundings, or inner monologues, or something other than “cool,” and “yeah, cool.” Considering how dialogue-heavy this book is, it needs some extra padding to discern it from a straight-up script.

There’s a good story to tell here, I just think it could benefit from some additional edits and an expansion of the world around the characters. The way the book begins and ends is closer to what I’d have liked to see the whole way through. Solid 3 stars…didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. But keep in mind, YA isn’t really my thing, so others may have a completely different experience with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment