Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Review: Crow (Boston Underworld #1) by A. Zavarelli



The Blurb:

He’s a killer. A mobster.

The last man on earth I’d ever want to be with. I won’t lose my head just because he’s hot, Irish, and has a wicked accent to boot.

He’s one of the only leads in my best friend’s disappearance, and I don’t trust him.
So I’ve got a few rules in mind when it comes to dealing with Lachlan Crow.

1. Keep a clear head and don’t get distracted.
2. Do what’s necessary and never forget why you’re there.
3. Never, and I mean never, fall for him.

Fourth and final rule?

Throw out the book altogether. Because the rules don’t apply when it comes to the Irish mafia.

It was only supposed to be temporary, but now Lachlan thinks he owns me. He says he’s not letting me go.

And I believe him.


***


Lachlan.

I don’t know who she is. I don’t know why she’s here.

But if it’s my attention she wants, she has it.

The Russians want her dead, and now it’s up to me to look out for her. This girl is trouble. A distraction I can’t afford.

So why have I already decided she’s mine?

I’ve claimed her and there’s no going back now.

This is a full-length standalone novel full of hot Irish guys with accents. Steamy and dark mafia themes throughout. HEA included.





This book. Gaah. It’s true what I saw on another review: I started reading it and I. Couldn’t. Stop. I couldn’t even tell you what happened around me in the 6 hours I was reading it. Hopefully nothing crucial?


Lachlan Crow is a potential heir to the throne of the Irish mafia in Boston. He’s described as quiet and reserved, but make no mistake-he’s calculating, menacing…definitely not a man to be fucked with. After the recent untimely death of his grand-da, he’s out for revenge, but it must be done delicately and diplomatically, so as not to soil a pending alliance with the Russians.

Okay I admit I’m on a Peaky Blinders kick right now, shutup. Mackenzie “Mack” Wilder is a tough girl from Southie with a dark past and a single mission on her mind: to find her best friend, Talia, who has been missing for almost a year. Mack knows that nothing good can possibly have befallen her troubled friend, who was last seen working a new job at Slainte, a bar/strip club and front for the Irish mafia. Finding the Feds incredibly unhelpful and apathetic to her cause, she boldly decides to take on her own undercover mission.


Mack’s method of making herself known and remembered in front of the Irish is bold and borderline insane. And it works. She immediately catches the attention of Lachlan and from there, there’s no shaking it. Not that she wants to. A man in his position possesses peak potential for gathering the information she needs. Doesn’t hurt that he’s a sexy Irish mob boss with tats, abs, and a penchant for boxing. Did I mention the dirty talk?


What I really love about this book is the alternating narrative. On Mack’s end, we see the internal struggle she has as she battles a deep-seeded guilt for not protecting her friend in her time of need, and subsequently “sleeping with the enemy” (as she sees it). As her feelings continue to grow for Lachlan, it becomes increasingly problematic and at odds with her mission to spy on him and uncover more information.

On Lachlan’s end, we get to see a similar internal battle. His job comes with several obligations that make his obsession with Mack a dangerous distraction that puts them both at risk. Suffice it to say, any book I read that I must finish in one sitting gets an automatic five stars. Really looking forward to the next one, Reaper, which is apparently all about Ronan! I’m stoked. I have so many questions about this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment