Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Review: Reaper by A. Zavarelli (Boston Underworld #2)



The Blurb:

Sasha.
He’s dark and mysterious. Quiet and lethal.
An Irish mobster.
Pure sin wrapped up in a beautiful package.
But there’s also something off about him.
He doesn’t feel anything. He shows no emotions.
Sometimes I question his humanity.
He hasn’t spoken to me in two years. Not a single word.
But we share a secret, he and I.
And if it ever comes out, I have no doubt in my mind…
He won’t have a problem killing me too.

Ronan.
I’ve slain for her. I’ll do it again.
When it comes to Sasha, there isn’t a line I won’t cross.
I watch her. She doesn’t know it.
She thinks I hate her. Sometimes, I think I might too.
But I’m always there, lurking in the shadows.
Craving her. Trying to keep the beast within at bay.
I’ll keep her safe. I’ll slaughter anyone who tries to hurt her.
The only thing I can’t do… is protect her from myself. 



Another fantastic book from A. Zavarelli! After reading Crow, I was so curious about Ronan’s past. Well, we absolutely get a look at it (sometimes in graphic detail).

Sasha is a dancer at Slainte, a bar/strip club that is also a front for the Irish mafia. From what we know from Crow, she clearly has a history with Ronan. But we never got much detail about wtf is going on with these two. At the start of Reaper, it is explained that her mother is dying of cancer, and Sasha became a dancer so that she could provide for her family and take care of mom in her final days.

Ronan is Lachlan Crow’s right hand, best friend, and the man to see if you’ve got someone you want to die a horrible death.



The description of Ronan just had me thinking of Elijah from The Originals. And DAMN I do not mind that at all.

Yet Ronan has aspirations to become more than just a killer, he is hoping to take on more responsibilities for the syndicate. He cares deeply for Sasha, which we sort of figured out in book 1, but with his complicated job and personal history, relationships seem to be something Ronan has zero experience with.




I really enjoyed the way things started out with Ronan and Sasha. The two of them have a shared experience that brought them closer together while simultaneously driving them further apart. The distance between them has remained for quite some time, yet it is clear that their thoughts always linger on one another.


What I didn’t like (SPOILERS AHEAD):

I’m sick of romance books using babies as a way to force people into serious commitments.



The old “I’m pregnant with your baby so let’s be together forever” shtick is tiresome and for me personally, not romantic. And the cues that she was going to get preggers were pretty much shoved in your face right from the start. You know what I think is romantic? Two people actually overcoming emotional obstacles just because, rather than just because pregnancy. But that’s me, it's just my personal preference. I recognize that not everyone feels that way.

Also, given what we learn of Ronan’s…ahem…performance issues, I was really hoping to see that further explored. There’s soooo much that could have happened, but didn’t. I get that Ronan has problems with intimacy, but even in the moments where he was willing to go further with things, we didn’t really get to see much of it.




All in all, I’d still give this book 4 stars. I love the character of Ronan, and my questions about him were mostly answered. But I felt a little “meh” about Sasha. She had the potential to be really interesting, but something about the way she was written just didn’t do it for me.

I’m excited to read Ghost, and I really hope we finally get the scoop on Rory and Scarlett, because that’s another couple I’ve got so many questions about.

No comments:

Post a Comment