Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Review: Driven by K. Bromberg


The Blurb:
 Rylee Thomas is used to being in control. But she’s about to meet the one man
that just might make her enjoy losing it…


I am the exception to the rule.

In a world full of willing women, I’m a challenge to the roguish and achingly handsome Colton Donavan. A man used to getting exactly what he wants in all aspects of life. He’s the reckless bad boy constantly skating that razor thin edge toward out of control, on and off of the track.

Colton crashes into my life like a tornado: sapping my control, testing my vulnerabilities beyond their limits, and unintentionally penetrating the protective wall around my healing heart. Tearing apart the world I rebuilt so carefully with structure, predictability, and discipline.

I can’t give him what he wants and he can’t give me what I need. But after a glimpse beneath his refined exterior into the dark secrets of his damaged soul, can I bring myself to walk away?

Our sexual chemistry is undeniable. Our individual need for complete control is irrefutable. But when our worlds collide, is the chemistry enough to bring us together or will our untold secrets and battle of wills force us apart?




I'll be totally honest, I didn't finish this one. I wanted to like it, really I did. I'm a sucker for the fictional Alpha bad boys (because the "bad boys" in real life never have any money/still live at home with their moms/have likely been arrested for that charming bad boy behavior/are statistically more likely to spank your face than your ass).

I informed you thusly.

But if said fictional Alpha bad boy has to spell it out for me that he is just SUCH a bad boy, it loses its appeal rather quickly (in the form of some very cheesy dialogue, at times):

"Is it because you can't let go of your highbrow ways and admit that despite what your head says, your body wants more of this rebel from the wrong side of the tracks?"



Where I lost it:

I HATED that Colton essentially blackmailed Rylee into going on a date with him by manipulating a traumatized child. Sure, it worked out well for him, but what if it hadn't? He was willing to gamble on the emotional well-being of a kid just to get a date? And we're all supposed to just be...okay with that?



...Apparently Rylee was. So taken, in fact, by this artful manipulation of a minor that she immediately went speeding away with Colton, hair blowing in the wind singing bad pop songs, reminding me once again with her own inner monologue that Colton is SUCH a bad boy...with a good heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment